If you want to join in the testing of WordPress 2.9 then sign up at http://wordpress.org/development/2009/10/getting-involved-with-the-2-9-beta-testing/. You’ll need to use a beta tester plugin on a test version of your site. They’re looking to release at the end of October.
In community version 1.4 of Magento a new option to add user-designe widgets will be available. This represents a big step forward for Magento, the shopping cart software to use. For more information see http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/introducing-magento-widgets/. Getting dynamic data onto your pages will be a fairly simple process soon.
(Taken from the Magento blog)
- Dynamic product data in Marketing Campaign Landing Pages
- Dynamic Information such as Recently Viewed Items into Content Pages
- Promotional images to position in different blocks, side columns and other locations throughout the storefront
- Interactive elements and action blocks (external review systems, video chats, voting and subscription forms)
- Alternative navigation elements (tag clouds, catalog image sliders)
- Create interactive and dynamic flash elements easily configured and embedded within content pages for enhanced user experience
A good reason to upgrade from the 1.2 and 1.3 versions, though I’d advise giving 1.4 a few months to bed in.